© Copyright 2011 Anastacia Tohill. All rights reserved. Please do not copy or download images/text. Armature drawing in photos by Animation Supplies except for Head.
Making the armature was quite straight forward but does take time and care. It was good fun and very satisfying once the finished armature is complete. Make sure you use a ruler to measure the length of the metal rods used for the limbs accurately. File the ends properly or they won’t fit in the screw. Use plenty of araldite to glue the joints which do not move. Allow adequate time for glue to dry properly before moving the armature.
The hardest thing I found was glueing the balls on the end of the rods and glueing the rods in place with Loctite glue. I found that sometimes when I was testing the joints and wanted the joint screwed tightly the force would cause the ball to come unstuck which would be a problem. I reglued everything and waited longer for the glue to dry. I hope that this is sufficient to hold in place. Sometimes I also wanted the screw to tighten more.
With both of these armatures, including the one I bought from John Wright Modelmaking I am going to make sure after finishing the puppets body, that I have access to all the joints and armature in case anything needs adjusting or fixing. This means making the body in a way that you can access all joints and making clothing which can be taken on and off like a doll. With armatures I have made in the past I used wood and wire and made it from scratch and made the body and clothes permantly fixed to the body with little access to the armature. With ball and socket I think there is more need to have access because of all the joints, its a safer option.
More images to come of finished armature and a video of the making of it.