End of November
Well I received feedback from the script (this was the second time I have sent it out for feedback). Some people thought it was good and needed no changes while others thought that the recovery section of the script needed working on. I got some really useful feedback from the Cardiff BDRN team.
I also felt the recovery section was not quite right, I had mainly concentrated on the psychosis bit of the script as this interested me more. I decided to ring Marie-Lise at the Wellcome Trust and I am so glad I did. She gave me some really good advice and also pointed out that the recovery section needed changing. She said that the script was too literal and it needed to be more figurative with the script and the visuals. She also said it was important to make sure that I ‘stay true to my own personal experience’.
I am so glad I spoke to her. This is exactly what I needed, it totally woke me up and I agree with her. I knew there was something wrong with the script but didn’t say anything. I have no idea why, I think at the beginning of the project I did not feel very confident and found it hard to talk and say exactly what I wanted. It is also quite hard writing your own experience and writing it with two other people. We did it quite well really as we could only meet up a few times, most of it was done over the internet. I don’t think I would even have a script if it wasn’t for Oz and Jane so many thanks.
I think at times I was trying to please too many people, including the organisations. I was always asking everyones opinion and getting feedback – perhaps this was a mistake, you can’t please everyone. I also think I was worrying too much about offending people and what I should and shouldn’t say, how far can I go…..
I think a big part of the problem is my confidence. I think Jane and Oz have done a fantastic job and hopefully the three of us will be able to sort it out and make it work.